I was going to go a different route this week, but yesterday’s article left me thirsting for me (by the way I am in rapture with this video). I so frequently see posts and articles on my feed about raw milk and food rights, yesterday’s post completely pulled me into the world of food freedom. It seems so crazy in a country where we claim, ‘Land of the Free,’ but here are all these articles about restrictions on our Food Rights. After hundreds of years and our rights to nutritious foods is being sacrificed. Of course money and greed has gotten largely in the way, so that there is plainly just a bunch of confusion going on. What’s safe, what isn’t? There are so many contradicting articles and studies, we don’t know what to believe? Processed foods are cheap, eating healthy is expensive (lame). Maybe it’s because of the sites that I subscribe too, but I see a growing number of raw milk pieces. We have covered raw milk before and did a piece on raw milk vending machines in France. Many Paleo, especially extremist say no dairy. This is to neither promote that you consume dairy or avoid it (remember everyone is different, it’s about finding what works best in your routine and what YOU can tolerate), but to look at the best selections. I’ve been reading a lot of of YA series and books lately, but also in my own personal blog I’ve been looking a lot about choices recently. What I’ve realized is that we always have a choice. Everything we have and the way we are now are due to the decisions WE have made. What we eat and our
lifestyles are reflection of our choices. At any time we can decide to start practicing healthier habits. We should have the right to choose how we want to do this and what we want to eat. Granted I may be a bit of a free-spirit, into Being. Resistant to rules and regulations, the last thing I like is someone (especially those with alternative motives) telling me what I can do, especially when it’s something I think is so petty. Really do we not have bigger issues than making ridiculous laws saying not to sale milk? I do not agree with MY state not allowing me to buy or promote raw dairy (labeled as a pet food), although I do know ways of getting raw dairy products. We’ve been brainwashed to believe that raw milk is ‘dangerous’. Yes, if you’re consuming raw milk from commercial cows pumped with injections and fed grains, you’re at a bigger risk. But these are the cattle that we promote and to make them ‘safer’ to drink they promote pasteurization. Plus it peeves me that we promote skim and reduced fat milk (damn low-fat eating will not die). We are chugging and promoting udder crap, I think. But we should not be eating these super cows nor drinking their milk. Say it with me ‘Grass-Fed‘. Yes we’ve exhaustively covered this as well.
RAW MILK ISN’T DANGEROUS AS LONG AS YOU START OUT WITH A GOOD PRODUCT. THE RISK IS HUMAN INTERACTION
Did you know that at the turn of the twentieth century they actually used raw milk as a cure? Studies have come out recently showing that children raised on farms, drinking raw milk have less allergies and autoimmune problems. Ask this question:
When mom source (universal first meal) requires no further processing, why is cow’s milk different?
They used it to cure:
- Rheumatoid arthritis,
- low thyroid function,
- congestive heart failure,
- hay fever,
- narcotic habits,
- acid stomach,
- tuberculosis (in its early stages)
Raw milk is only legal in 10 states for retail sales, and 15 more allow farm sales. It is totally prohibited in 11 states. Plus interstate distribution is illegal. Did you know that there are rallies and demonstrations against raw milk laws (reminiscent of last centuries human right battles)?
- Michael Schmidt is a Canadian raw milk activist and Weston Price Board Member. Since his farm was first raided in 1994, he has been fighting to be able to sale raw milk. Last year he went on a 37 day hunger strike (how Gandhi and wonderful).
- Recently in the news has been Alvin Schlangen, a Minnesota farmer and founder of Freedom Farms Coop. He has had his van, warehouse and farm illegally raided and face 21 charges related to food distribution and up to a year of jail time and hefty fines.
- To go with this rally supporters are forming now to sign a Declaration of Food Independence to demonstrate non-compliance against ‘unjust’ regulations.
- In Chicago they defied the no transport law, by transporting 100 gallons of raw milk from Wisconsin to Chicago.
- California has brought buying club Rawesome (what a fantastic name) to trial
- in a Wisconsin case a judge ruled: Americans do not have a right to choose their food, not even when they own their own cows and the milk.
Raw foods, GMO labeling are all current struggles with Food Freedom. We should have the right to choose. Where to find raw dairy? Check out www.realmilk.com. Also check out Rawmilkinstitute.org created by raw milk activist Mark McAfee. Find and meet a farmer that you trust, consider a share like we talked about yesterday. For more reading check any of the articles at the bottom or there are several books and DVDs available.
Raw Milk-Why Mess with Udder Perfection (I love a good play on words)